Review library behavior expectations, book care, and title, author, & illustrator with these editable, easy-to-prep orientation lessons for 2nd grade library classes!
After reading one of the five (5) picture books aloud to the class, students check out new books from the library, and then complete the response activity in their printable response booklet. For remote learning or distance learning, the printable booklet can be sent home for up to 5 weeks of library lessons in districts who do not have access to 1:1 devices.
Note: This product is designed to be printed and handed out to students. If you prefer an all-digital version, you might like the Library Orientation Digital Read-alouds instead.
This 15-page unit is completely editable, and includes:
- Printable Booklet of 5 Reading Response Activities
- Editable in Microsoft PowerPoint .pptx file format
- Booklet is printed double-sided on 2 sheets of 8.5″ x 11″ paper, then folded and stapled to make an 8.5″ x 5.5.” booklet.
- Each half-page of the printable booklet includes a response activity (drawing or short writing) for one of the books.
- The back page of the booklet shows more library- and reading-themed book suggestions to read or check out from the library.
- 2nd Grade Lesson Plan in editable Microsoft Word .docx file format, aligned to:
- 2018 AASL National School Library Standards for Learners,
- National Common Core ELA Standards, and
- Pennsylvania Core ELA Standards
- Teacher’s Notes with directions for assembling the printable booklets
The books featured in this unit are:
- “The Not So Quiet Library” by Zachariah OHora
- “Stella Louella’s Runaway Book” by Lisa Campbell Ernst
- “Miss Moore Thought Otherwise” by Jan Pinborough
- “Jumping Off Library Shelves” selected by Lee Bennett Hopkins
- “Bunny’s Book Club” by Annie Silvestro
AASL National School Library Standards – See the AASL Standards Framework for Learners to view full text.
- Inquire – A.2. – B.3.
- Include – B.1. – C.2.
- Collaborate – A.2. – D.1.
- Explore – A.1.
Common Core English Language Arts Standards –
© Copyright 2010 National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved.
Questions before buying?
If the free preview file does not answer your question, you can contact us through this link, or email us directly at [email protected] with questions or special requests.